Cookies and raisins seem to have gone together since the beginning of cookie history. These guilt-free vegan delights get a good deal of their sweetness from apple juice and a healthy boost of fiber from SmartBran™ cereal.
* 2 cups SmartBran™ cereal
* 1 - 1/4 cups Apple Juice
* 1 tsp. Vanilla
* 2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
* 1/3 to 1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar, packed
* 2 - 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
* 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
* 3/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
* 1/4 tsp. Ground Allspice
* 1/8 tsp. Salt
* 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil, plus 1 tsp. for preparing cookie sheets
* 3/4 cup Raisins
* 3/4 cup Walnuts, chopped
1. Place racks in center and preheat oven to 375F. Brush two cookie sheets lightly with oil.
2. In a bowl, combine cereal, apple juice, and vanilla. Set aside to soften for 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/3 c. brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
4. Stir oil into cereal mixture. Pour cereal mixture on top of dry ingredients. Add the raisins and walnuts. Stir to combine. Taste batter. Stir in more sugar, if you wish.
5. Using your hands, shape bits of dough into balls about 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Place about an inch apart on oiled cookie sheets. (If dough is moist and sticky, drop heaping tablespoons directly onto sheets.) With your fingers or the back of a spoon, flatten dough into rough circles with a 2-inch diameter.
6. Bake for 9 minutes. Rotate pans back to front and bottom shelf to top. Continue baking until bottoms are golden, 8 to 10 minutes more. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack. When cool, store in a tightly sealed container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 4 months.