If you’re wanting to boost the fiber in your diet–and who isn’t–these fruit-sweetened vegan muffins are for you. Each one packs in 5 grams of dietary fiber and 4 grams of protein. Great for breakfast or a healthy snack.
* 1 1/4 cup SmartBran™ cereal
* 1 3/4 cup Unsweetened Apple Juice
* 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
* 1 cup Unbleached White Flour
* 1 tbsp. Baking Powder
* 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
* 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
* 1/8 tsp. Ground Allspice or Cardamom
* 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
* 5 tbsp. Nature’s Path Flax Plus® Flaxseed Meal (or grind 3 tbs. of whole flaxseed)
* 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil (plus more for greasing muffin tins)
* 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
* 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
* 1 cup Dried Cranberries, Blueberries, or Raisins
1. Set rack in center and preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a small bowl, stir SmartBran™ into 1 c. juice and set aside for 10 minutes to soften.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine whole wheat and white flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
4. Grease 12 standard muffin tins with oil.
5. In a medium bowl, beat flax meal with remaining 3/4 c. apple juice until thick and viscous, about 1 minute. Blend in oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Add SmartBran™ with unabsorbed juice and beat for 30 seconds. Pour liquid and cranberries into dry ingredients. Stir until just blended; do not over mix.
6. Divide batter among muffins tins. Bake for 7 minutes. Rotate muffins tins front to back. Continue baking until muffins spring back to a gentle touch and a cake tester inserted into the centers comes out clean, 8 to 10 minutes longer.
7. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife along edges and un-mold. Cool to room temperature and eat within a few hours, or freeze in a well sealed container for up to 4 months.