This hearty, vegetarian soup is a supper unto itself. It’s quick to prepare, but storebought pesto adds the rich flavor of a long-simmered soup. Instead of serving bread alongside, try this novel approach: garnish the soup with a parmesan-topped, crisp gluten free waffle.
* 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
* 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Onion
* 1 cup Finely Chopped Celery
* 1 cup Finely Chopped Carrot
* 1 tsp. Herbes de Provence or 1/4 tsp. each dried thyme, basil, rosemary, and fennel seeds
* 3 c. Gluten Free Vegetable Broth
* 1 can Tomatoes, diced (15-oz) with liquid
* 1 can Cannelloni or Navy beans, drained (15-oz)
* 1 Zucchini, medium, diced
* 3 tbsp. Pesto Sauce
* Salt to taste
* For the crisp parmesan “toasts”:
* 1/4 c. Olive Oil
* 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
* 4 Nature’s Path Homestyle Waffles
* 2 tbsp. Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated
1. To make the soup: Heat oil in a soup pot. Add onions, celery, and carrot and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown. Toss in herbes de provence.
2. Add broth, tomatoes, beans, zucchini, and salt to taste. Bring to a boil over high. Cover and cook over medium heat until vegetables are soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons pesto and salt to taste.
3. While soup is cooking, make parmesan“toasts”: Set rack in center and preheat oven to 425F. (Or use your toaster oven!)
4. In a small bowl, blend olive oil and garlic powder. Brush oil onto both sides of waffles. Set on a cookie sheet.
5. Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon cheese to top of each waffle. Set on a cookie sheet and bake until crisp, 4 to 5 minutes.
6. To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Float one parmesan “toast” on top of each. Set a tiny dollop of additional pesto on top of the waffle.