Orange zest is the secret ingredient here, scenting these easy-to-prepare golden scones. Health-promoting goji berries are rich in antioxidants and have been used by Chinese herbalists for thousands of years. You can substitute raisins, dried cranberries, or dried currants, if you prefer.
* 1 cup Nature’s Path Millet Rice™ Fruit Juice Sweetened
* 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, plus 2 to 3 tbs. more for kneading dough
* 1/4 cup Brown Sugar, packed
* 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
* 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
* 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
* 1/8 teaspoon Sea Salt
* 4 ounces Butter (1 stick) chilled, cut into bits
* 1/3 cup Dried Goji Berries, coarsely chopped
* Zest of 1 Large Orange
* 1/4 to 1/3 cup 2% Milk
1. Set oven rack in middle and preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper or a silpat.
2. Place Millet Rice™ Fruit Juice Sweetened in a large bowl and crush flakes into uneven bits with your hands. Stir in flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, and salt.
3. Use a pastry blender or your fingers to work butter into flour until pieces of butter are pea-sized. Stir in goji berries, orange zest, and enough milk to create a dough that sticks together when pressed.
4. Turn dough onto a generously floured surface. Knead dough until no longer sticky, sprinkling additional flour on surface as needed. Shape into a disc 1/2-inch thick. Use a sharp knife to cut into quarters. Cut each quarter in half.
5. Transfer scones to prepared pan and bake for 7 minutes. Rotate pan and continue baking until tops feel firm when gently pressed, 7 to 9 more minutes.
6. Transfer to a cooling rack. Eat warm or at room temperature, or freeze in a well-sealed container for up to 3 months.