Nature’s Path Hot Oatmeal provides a great ready-made, flax-enriched base for your next batch of oatmeal bar cookies. For a special indulgence, add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts in addition to the chocolate chips. For variety, use raisins instead of the chips.
* Vegetable oil for greasing
* 4 pouches Nature’s Path Flax Plus® Hot Oatmeal, uncooked
* 1/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
* 1/2 tsp. baking powder
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 2/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
* 1/3 c. vegetable oil, plus more for preparing pan
* Egg replacer equivalent to 2 large eggs
* 1/4 c. vanilla soymilk or plain dairy milk (see note)
* 1 tsp. vanilla
1. Place racks in top third and middle of oven and preheat to 350F. Lightly oil an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, combine instant oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in chocolate chips.
3. In a small bowl, combine oil, egg replacer, soy milk, and vanilla. Stir liquid into oats mixture just until oats are moistened.
4. Transfer dough to baking pan and spread off top. Bake for 14 minutes. Rotate pan and bake until middle feels firm and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 12 to 16 minutes longer.
5. Set pan on cooling rack. When cool, slice down the middle, then slice each side into 5 bars. Carefully remove with a spatula. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
6. NOTE: If using dairy milk, add 1 tsp vanilla and an additional TBS. brown sugar.