Sweetened soy milk steeped with cardamom, cinnamon, peppercorns, star anise, ginger and brewed black tea makes a for a spicy, comforting beverage.
- 8 green cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 pink peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1” knob of ginger root, peeled
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups strong brewed black tea
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, toast cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, peppercorns, and star anise until fragrant. Turn off heat and roughly crush spices.
- In the same saucepan, heat soymilk with ground spices, ginger root, and maple syrup. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Brew 2 cups of strong black tea.
- Strain milk and combine with freshly brewed black tea. Taste and adjust sweetness if necessary.
- Serve hot or over ice. Leftovers can be chilled and served iced.
Brittany Mueller is a Canadian-based vegan food blogger, recipe developer and photographer. Brittany's blog, I Love Vegan, features a delicious mix of home-style and healthy recipes perfect for vegans and the veg-curious!