These spice-scented oatmeal bars make a good alternative to a bowl of steaming hot oatmeal, especially when you need a nutritious breakfast on the run. Walnuts add a pleasing crunch to the silken texture created by the oatmeal-based batter.
* 4 pouches Nature’s Path® Multigrain Raisin Spice Hot Oatmeal, uncooked
* 1/2 cup Whole Wheat or Spelt Flour
* 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
* 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
* 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon Salt
* 1/3 cup Packed Brown Sugar
* 4 oz (1 stick) Butter, at room temperature, plus more to grease pan
* Egg Replacer equivalent to 2 large eggs
* 1/2 cup Applesauce, unsweetened
* 1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped
1. Set oven rack in bottom third of oven and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter an 8"x 8" or 9"x 9" pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
3. In another bowl, use a fork to mash brown sugar into butter. Then use a rubber spatula to blend thoroughly. Blend in egg replacer and applesauce.
4. Stir wet ingredients and walnuts into dry ingredients until all flour is absorbed.
5. Transfer batter to prepared pan and smooth off top. Bake for 10 minutes. Rotate pan. Continue baking until browned around edges and top bounces back when gently pressed, 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Set on a rack to cool completely. Run a knife along the edges. Cut cake in half. Then cut each half into 8 bars. Store in a well-sealed container for up to 5 days.