This luscious, homespun cake is decoratively topped with sliced apples and has a delightfully light crumb. If you like, serve slices with a dollop of Stonyfield Farm Vanilla Chai Ice cream or your favorite Stonyfield Farm frozen yogurt on top.
* 2 cups Nature’s Path Heritage® Flakes
* 1 1/2 cups Vanilla yogurt
* 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, plus 2 tsp. additional for flouring pan
* 1/3 cup Sugar
* 2 tsp. Baking Powder
* 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
* 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon plus 1/4 tsp. additional for garnish
* 1/8 tsp. Salt
* Egg Replacer equivalent to 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
* 2 tbsp. melted butter, plus 1 tsp. butter for preparing pan
* 3/4 cup Walnuts, coarsely chopped
* 1 Apple, cored and thinly sliced
* 1 tbsp. Sugar
1. Set rack in center and preheat oven to 375F. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan and dust with flour. (For easier removal, cut a piece of baking parchment to size and set it on bottom.) 2. Set Heritage® Flakes in a large bowl. Coarsely crush flakes by pressing down firmly under bottom of a cup or drinking glass. Stir in yogurt and set aside for 10 minutes. 3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and salt. 4. Blend egg replacer and melted butter into the yogurt-cereal mixture. Stir in dry ingredients and walnuts. 5. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Even off with spatula. Decoratively arrange apple slices on top. 6. In a small bowl, combine sugar and remaining 1/4 tsp. cinnamon. Sprinkle over apples. 7. Bake 20 minutes. Rotate pan and continue baking until edges are browned and pull away from sides of pan and a cake tester inserted in center comes out dry, 18 to 20 minutes more. 8. Cool on a rack. Serve slices from pan or run knife along edges and gently unmold by turning over onto a platter. Carefully flip over so apples are on top.