A decadent dairy-free hot chocolate topped with flaked sea salt, caramel sauce and dark chocolate shavings.
- 1 ¼ cup soy milk, divided
- 35g dark chocolate, plus extra (shaved), for topping
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Medjool date, pitted
- Pinch sea salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 50 ml water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp soy milk, divided
- Large ice water bath (large enough to hold your saucepan)
- Heat soy milk in a saucepan over medium heat or microwave until hot.
- In a blender, combine 1 cup hot soy milk, dark chocolate, pure vanilla, Medjool date, and sea salt. Blend on high for 1 minute (or until chocolate is melted and mixed thoroughly.
- Use a milk frother or whisk to whip up remaining ¼ cup hot soy milk.
- Top hot chocolate with frothed soy milk, chocolate shavings, a drizzle of caramel sauce, and a pinch of sea salt (optional).
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring sugar and water to a full boil. Prevent sugar granules from collecting on the sides. Avoid stirring.
- Once the entire surface of the sugar is boiling, add the lemon juice. Do not stir.
- Boil for 3 minutes - until the sugar goes from clear to lightly golden.
- Leave the burner on, remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in 1 tbsp of vegan butter.
- Put back on heat, boil and whisk constantly for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and gradually whisk in ¼ cup of soy milk. Cook until it reaches a light caramel colour.
- Transfer saucepan to an ice water bath. Whisk vigorously.
- As the caramel cools it will thicken up, if it starts to get too thick add 1 tbsp of soy milk and continue to whisk. Add more soy milk and whisk if needed.
Brittany Mueller is a Canadian-based vegan food blogger, recipe developer and photographer. Brittany's blog, I Love Vegan, features a delicious mix of home-style and healthy recipes perfect for vegans and the veg-curious!